Thursday, January 2, 2014

Practicality and Reasonable expectations


Last week was my wife's birthday. Usually, tradition in my family has it that a nice homemade dinner and dessert is made on birthdays. She put in a request for a birthday dinner, which I did go ahead and make. But she insisted on me not making her a dessert. Instead, we went to Bashas' and picked out a cake and ice cream. That's what this is a picture of.

As far as I can tell, my wife does have confidence in my ability to make a good dessert. My baking skills are not sub-par, if I do say so myself. However, she didn't want me to work too hard. I took over most responsibilities for the three kids and made all the meals on her birthday, and putting a dessert together would have been a lot. Perhaps she was just being practical, knowing that if I had too much on my plate I might get grumpy, and she probably wanted a happy husband on her birthday. Regardless of her reasons, I'm glad that she was genuinely satisfied with a grocery store cake for her birthday. It shows that she is down to earth, practical, and has reasonable expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment